Followers

Thursday 22 February 2018

Meditation Canvas

Hello everyone, something a bit different from me today. I have been interested in the artwork of Tamara Laporte for a long time, and have seen other people trying her online classes and enjoying following her tuition and particular style of drawing. I bought a fabulous book that she has published a little while back: Create Your Life Book, which incorporates several projects from the past few years of her Life Book classes. One of the projects caught my eye, as it incorporated a yoga figure meditating. Those of you that know me will know that I attend yoga classes regularly, and find them to be very helpful, both physically and mentally. My instructor is a lovely person, very caring and supportive. She is far more than a teacher, and has become a real friend since I have known her.

I wanted to make a canvas very much along the lines of the project in the book, it seemed very apt to give as a gift to my yoga instructor for her many kindnesses. I had not created anything in this style before, and so I followed the process fairly carefully. There were several times along the way that I wished I was using watercolour paper instead of a canvas, but I did stick to my guns, and it has worked out okay in the end. I hope that I will improve the moreof these that I create, but hopefully, it's not bad for a first attempt!

I started out by drawing the central figure, and adding some colour. Once I had got the basic colour added, I then stuck some scraps of paper to the background.

I added some blocks of colour over the background, and added more detail to the main image, including some chakra symbols.

I added deeper colour to the background.

At this point, I loved the background, but the instructions in the book were telling me to knock it back with some gesso, and I did as I was told!

I added some little doodles and phrases, along with gold dots across the background for a bit of sparkle. I will add a few close up shots for some of the detail:




I know that this project is by no means perfect; my pens hated the surface of the canvas. I would have much preferred the smooth surface of HOT pressed watercolour paper. I need to improve my drawing skills, but practice will help with that. I have really enjoyed this process, and it has been enormous fun. I have had the chance to dig out lots of my unused supplies for this projects, and it has been great to work with these beautiful colours on a gift for my lovely friend. She has now received the canvas, so I can share my post.

Thanks for stopping by, xx

3 comments:

Evy Browning said...

Fascinating seeing the different stages of your project & interesting about the response of your pens to the canvas.

Carole C. said...

Wow Judith, what a great gift. It's sometimes good to get out of your comfort zone.
Like the colours you have used.
Best wishes
Carole

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Awwww... I have never seen a work like this, such awesome canvas!! Love so much your drawing, the colors and any detail, and the touches of white gesso and the writing look amazing!! Thanks for sharing all the process, I think it is very therapeutic!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...