Followers

Sunday 10 May 2020

A Bit of Crocheting Goodness

Hello everyone, something a bit different for you today. I posted a few pictures on Facebook last week of a project that I created for my little Granddaughter, that I have been making during this period of lockdown. I cannot spend time with her, and wanted to give her a gift to let her know that I love her very much. She is eight months old now, and although she won't realise that I am missing her, it means a lot to me to give her something that she can keep from her 'Nana'.

I chose to crochet this beautiful Rainbow Unicorn design from FlyvFlyv https://www.flyvflyv.com/produktside/rainbow-the-unicorn-english as soon as I saw the design I was literally hooked! I loved everything about it, the colours, the size, the look of the embroidered eyes, it is just beautiful. My daughter had asked for a rattle unicorn, so I added rattles inside each of its feet, for an added extra.


I had not realised what an epic project this was going to be, and set out to crochet the unicorn. The main pieces worked up quickly enough, but the mane and tail pieces took ages! The construction was quite a feat, stuffing everything and sewing it all together, as it is such a large toy. I have never made anything like it before, but I was determined to finish it for little Ruby. The crochet flowers look lovely amongst the mane, and I added them almost as a headband at the front, which works really well.

The colours I have chosen are a little bit brighter than the designer's, because I wanted to stimulate Ruby and draw her interest, I stuck to the rainbow palette, and the colours look amazing as you can see from this rear view:

The unicorn has such a happy look with the embroidered eyes, they are really safe for Ruby at her age, and are a lovely feature.

Ruby seemed to really like her new friend, and you can appreciate how big the unicorn is against its new owner:



Ruby will hopefully have hours of fun playing with Rainbow as she grows up, and if it gets a bit floppy, then I will have done a good job.

I have moved on to another crochet project now. I am finding that in these times of uncertainty, crochet is giving me a degree of calm and the mindful nature of the craft is allowing me to process my thoughts. Several years ago I completed the Lily Pond CAL by Jane Crowfoot, a beautiful blanket, and actually learned to crochet along the way. Jane has designed another CAL called the Fruit Garden CAL. I love this project with its Arts and Craft Movement design, and am looking forward to working on the segments over the Summer. I have almost finished the first set of squares and here is a progress photo of how I am getting along:

The yarn is absolutely gorgeous, a new bamboo cotton from Stylecraft, probably the nicest yarn I have ever worked with, it is so soft. This flower has been designed to represent a forget me not, although it is not blue in this instance. If you are interested in finding out more about the CAL, you can go to the Stylecraft website and here is the link you will need: https://www.stylecraft-yarns.co.uk/Fruit+Garden/0_CAFA122_CAFA150_CAFA233.htm

I hope that you are all keeping safe and well during this time, keep crafting, and look after each other.

Thanks for stopping by xx








2 comments:

Aquarius said...

That unicorn is gorgeous (and so is Ruby of course) - as a crocheter I can appreciate what a mammoth task it was but well worth the effort. CAL projects are fun aren't they? I did one a while ago and embarked a new one at the start of the lockdown - these were by Susan Pinner.

veronica said...

Rainbow is gorgeous, and Ruby obviously loves him. Very impressed at the result, he is well worth all the effort
xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...