Followers

Saturday 19 March 2016

From Russia with Love

Hello everyone, I have more projects to share using the lovely Babushka stamp set. I love to mix and match new stamps with older stamp sets, and I have tried to do that with these projects.

I wanted to create the feel of brightly painted wooden dolls on these cards, so on my first card, I used kraft card throughout, and used a simple colour palette of bright colours. I used a Big Bold background Belle Flowers, to create the background, stamping the image using gold embossing powder. The big stamps are great for creating a background quickly. I coloured the images using Graph'it markers.

I cut an oval shape, and stamped a sentiment from the Loving Sentiments stamp set, using black ink. Finally, I used some black card to mat the layers.
My second project shows that these stamps can be used all year round, as I have chosen to make a Christmas card using the stamps, and combined them with some trees and snowflakes from the Sparkling Trees stamp set.

I started the card by stamping the three dolls, masking them as I went along, and then stamped the two building fragments. I masked these before masking the trees. I cut a single mask of the trees, but you could mask them all if you wanted too, I just moved the mask along as I needed to.

I stamped and embossed some small snowflakes using white embossing powder, and then coloured the sky area using Distress ink and a blending tool. I added a small amount of lilac to the foreground to add a bit of shading to the snow. I removed the masks, and coloured in the images using Copic markers. I added a bit of grass poking up through the snow. I added a sentiment using red ink, and chose a co-ordinating red layer of card to mat the background onto.

I have added lots of glitter to the trees, snow and rooftops for a bit of Christmas sparkle.
Thanks for stopping by, xx

2 comments:

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Judith how absolutely beautiful are your cards, especially the Christmas one, as you've shown how versatile the stamps are for all year round. Love your use of kraft card and the colours are super on it, great inspiration as usual, Kate x

Evy Browning said...

Your ability to mix the new with the older designs is a real strength of yours that is a joy to behold. Your idea to use these stamps for a Christmas card is superb & I keep looking at the design & seeing how evocative of the Slavonic it is. Your matting with the red to echo the red of the dolls' aprons works beautifully & together with the green of their dresses adds to the Christmassy feel.
Your first card is however, my favourite of the two. I particularly like the way you have made the sentiment the focal point of the card & by using the same colours for the dolls & the background have allowed it to remain so whilst adding interest to the overall design for the eyes are drawn to the left (the dolls) by the sense of there being something different present. The placing of the dolls is actually very clever: text is read from left to right so the eyes being drawn down towards the dolls causes the eyes to move naturally along the text also - from the dolls at the left to the sentiment at the right & reading the latter left to right........... phew not sure I managed to explain there but it's brilliant anyhow

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...