Followers

Friday 12 March 2010

I love wood

Today is a good day, I got home from work in the rain, to find a post box full of post, containing my ticket for the GNPE Show at Harrogate next weekend. Next, there was a carrier bag on my door handle from my woodturning friend Tony. I am so happy! On Tuesday evening, I was discussing the possibility of him making me a large replica of a wooden cotton reel for a project on our sister blog Craft Stamping Quartet because a normal cotton reel would be too small for the project that I have in mind, and three days later, he has made me three beautiful, gorgeous, lovely, marvellous, to die for,  large cotton reels. Wow!








See what I mean? He is such a gentleman, when I went on the Graphicus Retreat, in November, I asked him if he had any ephemera that I could use, and he gave me approx 30 half wood turned mushrooms which I shared out among everybody and we used them on our mini canvases.Most of us used them to look like trees in the end, but they look just great. I love the tactile nature of wood, especially after he has polished it . We live in a house with oak floors, and oak beams. We have oak doors with latches on them, so we have a woody theme going on there too. Our garden is full of fruit trees, (and chickens!), and when I look out of my craft room window, I can see trees. The rain has stopped now, and the sun is shining, see, I told you it was a good day! Judith x

7 comments:

Elaine said...

Judith - these are really fantastic. I shouldn't covet other people's things, but I want one!!

It sounds like you are having a great day, and I am sure these are going to be part of a really interesting project!!

Elaine

Aquarius said...

How lovely to have someone to make these for you and I'm really looking forward to seeing the dolls when completed. My late husband used to turn wooden objects so I know what you mean about wood.

craftimamma said...

Oh lucky you Judith! These are just beautiful and as you say so tactile. You just can't help but stroke beautifully sanded and smoothed wood can you? A bit like stroking paper really but then they are from the same source.

Glad you have had such a great day (until the washing arrived that is, Lol)!

Lesley Xx

Sally H said...

Looking forward to seeing what you create - I'm intrigued now!

lisa said...

I've just been having a lovely catch with what you've been up to Judith. Love your Mother's Day cards, they are both so beautiful and your flowers are inspiring. Sounds like you've been having lots of crafty fun.
The cotton reels are amazing as are those mushrooms. I love wood too, especially when it's polished and smooth. Can't wait to see what you create.

Lisax

Lexxie said...

Love your mushrooms Judith, how unique!
So glad you had a good day,
Love Sarita xx

Jo said...

As someone who used to carry around a handful of turned and polished wooden light cord pulls (is that what they're called?) as worry beads I can relate to the wood thing. Those reels look huge so I'm wondering how big your doll is going to be. What a lovely unique feature for your project. You are so lucky to have a friend like that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...