Followers

Friday 21 November 2014

Autumn Mushrooms

Hello everyone, I have a couple of DT projects to show you today, showcasing the Autumn Edges stamp set. On my first card, I wanted to show how well the various stamp sets from Chocolate Baroque mix and match together, so I have used the Nature Table stamp set alongside the mushroom edge stamp to create an Autumn scene.

I began by stamping the mushroom border and a mushroom cluster from the Nature Table stamp set along the bottom of the card. I used a permanent black pen to add a few lines to join them together. I masked the images before stamping the mushrooms on a tree twice on the left hand side of the page. I drew a continuation of the tree to the top of the page, adding in some detail on the tree, and again masked all of these images.

I coloured the background with Brushos, using a combination of yellow and orange, with a hint of violet, until I was happy with the overall colour. I dried the background with my heat gun, and then added foliage stamping along the edges and behind the mushrooms, using various shades of archival inks. I used bleach to remove the colour from some of the foliage, and then proceeded to colour all of the images with watercolour pencils. I also coloured the foreground with watercolour pencils.

I stamped lots of small leaves onto oddments of scrapbook paper and other bits of backing paper that I had left over from various projects, and stuck these onto the card, some on the ground, and some tumbling down randomly, as if they were falling from the trees overhead.


I am aware that this first card might seem a bit daunting to a beginner, and so I wanted to show how a much simpler card could be made using the same mushroom stamp, taking much less time, but producing a really pretty card nonetheless. I made a mask with an oval aperture in the centre, which I placed onto a piece of smooth watercolour paper. I then stamped the mushroom border onto the paper, and coloured it using Distress Inks and a waterbrush. I used a loose style, not trying to be too precise. I used Pumice Stone and Weathered Wood Distress Inks to colour the mushrooms. I dried the image and then covered it with the mask that I had used from my first card. I added a small circle mask to represent a moon, and then coloured the sky, using a combination of three Distress Inks in Dried Marigold, Stormy Sky and Seedless Preserves. I removed the circle mask and added a little bit of Weathered Wood to soften the starkness of the moon, before swiping some Mustard Seed Distress Ink across the moon and a bit of the sky to either side.

I removed the mushroom mask, and coloured the tops of the mushrooms with a bit of Mustard Seed DI as well, to represent the light from the moon. I then coloured in the ground with a bit of Milled Lavender. I added a streak of Mustard Seed for the moonlight, deciding where it would shine.

I stamped the sentiment taken from the Bewitched Moonlight stamp set, and a fairy from the Summer Fairy stamp collection using Versafine Onyx Black Ink.

A much quicker card, and hopefully something that would appeal to the CAS lovers out there as well. I hope that I have given you some inspiration with these versatile stamps. Thanks for stopping by, Judith xx

4 comments:

Paula (PEP) said...

Your first card is a wonderful example of what can be done using the masking technique & I particularly like the way you used & extended the mushrooms on a tree stamp & how those mushroom shapes balance the upturned saucer shapes of the ground fungi. The bleached Honesty seed pods add a lovely touch to the whole design together with the teasel heads & the movement in those falling leaves. In your second card the attention to detail really makes the whole scene quite believable & realistic especially the way the light from the moon is reflected in your colouring of the ground & mushrooms. The black & mauve matting brings out the colours of the focal image beautifully & I particularly like the way your fairy (tripping along those toadstools) is balanced by your sentiment.
Paula (PEP)

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Both designs are beautiful, the first with all it's detail and the second in the CAS style, love them both! Shirleyxx

Elaine said...

Gorgeous cards Judith. I can imagine how long that first one took. It is making cards like that that always have my heart in my mouth, I get near to the finished result and manage to add a black fingerprint or something!!! Super use of the brushos for the background and the bleaching is great on the honesty. Such lovely warm autumn colours and you know I always really love anything with little leaves added. The second card also makes super use of those toadstools and the soft delicate colouring is lovely. Elaine xxx

rachel said...

stunning pieces judith - that bracket fungus looks awesome and the colours are amazing - wonderful. Hugs Rachel x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...