Followers

Saturday 22 April 2017

Colourful Journal Pages

Hello everyone,  I needed to create an extra project for the Design Team Blog this month, and decided to have a bit of fun. Lesley, during the TV shows that introduced the new Russian themed stamps, had suggested giving the lovely Katya image some hair, and that was what kick-started this whole journal spread off in the first place. I chose to use the really versatile A5 Pink Pig journal containing 270 gsm watercolour paper, as this size of journal allows for a lot of choice in the layout that you can create, without feeling that you have too much space to fill. The watercolour paper is lovely and smooth and will take lots of water.

I started my project by masking the headdress on the Katya stamp, and inking up just the bottom part of the image, using Versafine Sepia Ink, before stamping it onto the journal page. I drew some hair freehand, using a pencil at first, until I was happy with the design, and then inking over it with a permanent brown pen.
I needed to mask the image, and as the masking tissue available on the website is not completely opaque, I was able to lay it over my image, and draw an outline to create my own custom mask.

I added several other images to the pages; the Swirl Centre Flowerhead, and some leaves and a butterfly from the Tangled Garden stamp set. I masked all of these images as I went along, so that I could create a layered look to the pages. I wanted a subtle floral image in the background and added a favourite texture stamp from the Texture Fragments stamp set, using Acrylic Wax to stamp the image. I simply put a small amount onto a craft mat, applied it to the stamp with a piece of sponge, and stamped the image onto the background. I heat set the image before moving on to the next stage. I added Distress Ink to colour the background, and the acrylic wax acted as a resist where I had stamped the floral texture image.

I drew a few swirls by hand, using a permanent brown pen as before, and added a sentiment from the Artistic Expressions stamp set. A little bit of stencilling completed the background.

I coloured the images using Zig Clean Colour markers, keeping the colours bright and cheery to match the vibrant background. I decided to give Katya a modern twist with ombre hair, rather than a conventional colour. I added extra shading to her hair with some Stabilo Fineliners in co-ordinating colours.



I hope that you have enjoyed reading about my project, thanks for stopping by, xx






6 comments:

Carole C. said...

Hi Judith.
Your journal pages are beautiful with lovely colours.
Great idea to add hair where the headdress was. I like stamps that can be adapted like that .
Thanks
Carole

cuilliesocks said...

I absolutely love this Judith, so cleverly designed, very creative thinking, wonderful colours and design, Kate x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow wow wow!!! I'm speechless.... Such amazing AJ pages!!! Absolutely love, love them!
Pinned https://it.pinterest.com/pin/534802524490174194/
Thanks so much for sharing all your process! So inspiring!! Really a brilliant work of art!
These stamps and the masking tissue are surely another buch of "must have" for me, now! :)

Evy Browning said...

It's your use of colour here with your placement of it which catches my eye - your greens in particular really stand out, then there's your flow of aqua & mauve for her hair. The way your mauve background areas are diagonally opposite on the facing pages as are the two orange areas creates a lovely mirror effect. A really delightful dead in your journal to make you smile on tough days. Thank you too for the instructive detail.

Diane said...

Wow what fabulous colors and images for your journal pages.

Hugs Diane

Paula Whittaker said...

wonderful piece beautifully executed x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...