Followers

Friday 24 September 2010

Autumn Tones





At my card class last night, one of the girls remarked how lovely the leaves looked on the patio. I thought I'd take some photographs this morning, so in between the showers, I pottered around the garden, capturing some of the pretty shades of red and orange before they disappear, and the bare branches appear again. We have some particularly splendid Virginia creeper growing up around our outbuilding. It has crept into the Wisteria, and I will cut that back, but as it is red at the moment, it makes my life easier, picking it out.




 This is our outbuilding, 'The Old Maltings', tucked away in a shady corner of the garden. It is just used for wood storage, and full of spiders, but we don't want to change the character of the building as it is so quaint.
The roof is covered in the Virginia creeper, and it is a glorious shade of red at the moment, especially when the sun catches it.
 I also spied my chickens, out for a walk in the front garden, so I thought that I'd share a picture of them too!
Last night, the girls made an Autumnal themed card, cutting out some leaves with the new Tim Holtz Tattered Leaves die, then running them through some embossing folders. I pinched this idea from Linda Brown, she has made an incredible metal wreath, using different coloured metal, doing exactly the same thing. We coloured our base card with Distress Inks, and using a piece of waste card, brushed DIs through the aperture left by one of the leaves, to create a leaf image on the background. I wanted a graded effect to the leaf, where there was less colour in the middle. We used stamps from Elusive Images for the tree and sentiment, and mounted everything onto copper pearlescent card.
I love working with these warm rusty colours, this is a good time of year for me, not too hot, and not too cold. There is still a chance of good weather, and those Wintry days are still a little way off. Thanks for popping in to see me, and any comments that you make will be greatly appreciated. Judith xx

9 comments:

Aquarius said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely garden and chickens with us - it all looks lovely. Didn't know Tim had done tattered leaves - another item for my ever growing wish list!!

Miranda said...

Hi Judith, what a lovely garden you have and indeed fab colours now with the upcoming fall. The same as you I like this temperature. Fall and Spring are my favourite seasons.

Love also your warm coloured card, I am also completely in 'Fall sphere', greetz Miranda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those wonderful photos from your garden...stunning colours indeed.
And your card is beautifully inked/stamped too!

Val said...

Judith - the whole scene looks abolsolutely delightful - a bit like my childhood home, particularly with the chickens, which we had in abundance.

Hugs
Valxx

Elaine said...

Lucky you having that Virginia Creeper, they are fabulous colours at the moment. I must find a home for one in my garden. Great card, lovely combination of elements - autumn is such great inspiration isn't it?

Elaine xx

themessycraftroom said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely photo's. The colours are beautiful. Your card is lovely I love all the colours of Autumn. Not seen that leaf die before. x ChrisB

Max said...

Beautiful colours indeed. Your wisteria is stunning and the virginia creeper looks like it's on fire! We had to cut ours down from the gable end of our house a few years ago as it had damaged the pebbledash. I miss seeing it's beautiful colours but have to confess I don't mind not having so many humungous spiders scuttling through the house now LOL!

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

Helen said...

Hi Judith
Just seen your bubble card in CS - it's lovely. Such delicate colours.
Helen

Phree said...

I love the colours of autumn too and your card captures them beautifully. Thanks for showing the pics of your garden, it looks beautiful in all it's autumn glory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...